By Ellis Wasson
- Places Britain in an international context, charting the increase and fall of the British empire and the effect of imperialism at the social, monetary, and political advancements of the house country
- Includes revised sections on imperialism and the economic revolution which were up to date to mirror contemporary scholarship, a extra reflective view on New Labour because its loss of life, and an all new part at the functionality of the Conservative – Lib/Dem coalition that got here into workplace in 2010
- Features illustrations, maps, an updated bibliography, a whole record of top Ministers, a family tree of the royal kinfolk, and a finished word list explaining uniquely British phrases, acronyms, and recognized figures
- Spans issues as diversified because the slave exchange, the novels of Charles Dickens, the Irish Potato Famine, the legalization of homosexuality, coalmines in South Wales, Antarctic exploration, and the discovery of the computer
- Includes huge connection with historiography
Read Online or Download A History of Modern Britain: 1714 to the Present PDF
Similar uk history books
Hundreds of thousands of fellows volunteered to depart domestic, fireplace and relations to visit a overseas land to struggle in 1914, the beginning of the most important warfare in British historical past. It used to be a warfare fought via soldier-citizens, hundreds of thousands powerful, so much of whom had volunteered willingly to move. They made up the military that first held, after which, in 1918, push back the German military to win the nice battle.
The 1st quantity of Roger Brooks’ particular connection with the Victor covers the notion, layout and test-flying of the prototype HP eighty after which the creation and operation of the Mark 1 in its many jobs. This moment quantity completes the heritage of the airplane through describing the enhanced Mark 2 that was once basically conceived to hold Britain’s Blue metal nuclear deterrent.
We are living in a time of serious social, political and fiscal quandary that many date to the cave in of the worldwide banking approach in 2008. Many are discovering it tricky to contextualise the hardships that experience taken position within the years following on from these occasions. it really is tough to discover the solutions in our current media panorama, or in a political and highbrow weather that keeps to laud capitalism because the profitable financial system popping out of either global conflict II and the tip of the chilly conflict, which has turn into during the last century synonymous with democracy itself.
They might be greater lifeless, they stated, than set adrift upon the realm. yet set adrift they have been - millions of them, their groups destroyed, their houses demolished and burned. Such have been the Sutherland Clearances, a unprecedented episode, concerning the planned depopulation of a lot of a Scottish county.
- Yorkshire Battles
- Myth, Rulership, Church and Charters: Essays in Honour of Nicholas Brooks: 0
- Aelfred's Britain: War and Peace in the Viking Age
- East Wind: China and the British Left, 1925-1976
- The Devil in Disguise: Deception, Delusion, and Fanaticism in the Early English Enlightenment
Extra resources for A History of Modern Britain: 1714 to the Present
A History of Modern Britain: 1714 to the Present by Ellis Wasson